By Professor William B. Gould IV
John's Episcopal Church, Wilmington, N.C., 1855.
Prior to the War both whites and blacks attended this Episcopal parish. Nicholas Nixon, William B. Gould's owner, was one of this church's communicants. Since blacks in Wilmington often attended the churches of their masters, there is a substantial possibility that William B. Gould also attended this church. This could account for his allegiance to the Episcopal Church after the War. (Ballou's Pictorial Drawing-Room Companion, p. 201, 1855, Courtesy of New Hanover County Public Library)